fusionhandles.com

Friday, February 11, 2011

Dream Journal: Killstreak

I am playing Call of Duty, the video game. Wreckin' shop on the other team. The M60 has 200 in the extended clip, and I use every single bullet, mowing down enemies in bunches.

I can't be stopped. 10 consecutive kills without a death. 15. 25. 50 kills!...

UFO KILLSTREAK it says on the screen. A flash fills my vision.

Before I can even think to ask what's happened, I'm inside a UFO, the old-school kind from the 1950s flicks. Saucer-like with a lot of bulbous lights and rotating parts. It's like I am  the UFO. Every inch of my surface is an eye. Nothing can hide from me.

I fire the plasma cannon at the feet of three soldiers, vaporizing them. I can hear their screams from a mile away. Floating death machine. And now, I am not just over an urban war zone, but a downtown, filled with civilians.

I start feathering the cannon trigger. Buildings are crumbling, people go flying as if they were launched... What am I doing? I keep thinking, as vehicles and gas lines explode in my wake.

But I keep firing. We play to win the game.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment